Monday, February 23, 2009

The Other Mother - Lisa

A few years ago I picked up a little book called Coraline in the children's section of the bookstore. I remember reading it and thinking that it was really kind of unusual and strange for children.
Now just a few years later it has been made into a movie. Done by the same director of The Nightmare Before Christmas it looks very intriguing. In the story Caroline goes to a different world where all the adults have button eyes. See above, that is the Other Mother Lisa. At first the Other Mother seems much better than her real Mother. But as you might quess, the Other Mother isn't really what she seems. I have read the book and not seen the movie but I say don't be afraid of it. It's a good ol' fashioned fright for kids that's not too much. Now I am talking about older kids. I wouldn't read it to a 5 year old. How about 5th grade and up. Also check out the movie website it lets you make your own button-eyed picture as well as other entertaining activities. You could make an Other Mother picture for your own children to remind them to love you the way you are! Finally as always read the book before you see the movie.


3 comments:

Kathryn said...

I actually really want to see this movie...

Scott H. said...

Lisa, Amanda and I saw this movie and we loved it!! Also, the author of the book (Neil Gaiman) is a great author! He actually writes comic books and children's books, and novels. He's very accomplished and wrote one of my favorite comic-books I've read (called "Marvel 1602").

Oh, and when you do see the movie, the other father looks like my dad, so that could be an entertaining side note for you when you see it.

Lisa K said...

Well, I think I am definitely going to see it. I know Katey will always go to a movie like this with me. Thanks for the review.